Revolutionizing Smiles With Clear Aligner Treatment
Straightening your teeth has never been more comfortable and discreet. At our Grosse Pointe Woods dental office, Dr. Miller, Dr. Cooper, and our dental team offer clear aligner treatment to straighten and revitalize smiles. In this comprehensive guide, explore the advantages of our available clear aligner treatment systems.
Conveniently serving patients from Grosse Pointe Woods and surrounding areas such as Eastpointe, St. Clair Shores, and Roseville, we’re here to help you enjoy all the benefits of a straighter and healthier smile.
The Importance of Orthodontic Treatment
Though slight bite misalignment is common, it’s generally recommended to correct more severe misalignment issues. Severely and even moderately misaligned teeth can lead to various problems, including:
- Difficulty Chewing or Biting – Misaligned teeth may not meet properly, making chewing and biting food more difficult.
- Speech Impairment – Misalignment can affect speech, causing lisping, unclear pronunciation, or mouth closure issues.
- Bruxism and TMJ Issues – Misaligned teeth and incorrect bite can cause grinding, jaw pain, and TMJ joint disorders.
- Tooth Decay and Gum Disease – Misaligned teeth are harder to keep clean, increasing the risk of cavities, gingivitis, and other oral health issues.
- Abnormal Tooth Wear – The uneven contact between misaligned teeth can lead to uneven wearing of enamel.
- Impacted Teeth – Crooked teeth or lack of space can prevent teeth from properly emerging, leading to impacted teeth that grow in wrong or don’t grow in at all.
- Digestion Problems – Improper chewing due to misaligned teeth can lead to digestive problems.
- Sleep Apnea – Misalignment obstructing the airway can increase sleep apnea risk.
- Low Self-Esteem – Having crooked, gapped, or crowded teeth can negatively impact your self-esteem.
For reasons such as these, Dr. Miller and Dr. Cooper provide orthodontic solutions to patients who need them. Thankfully, you don’t have to rely on uncomfortable, unsightly metal braces. Instead, our patients can choose from one of two clear aligner treatment options, SureSmile® and Invisalign®.
Our Clear Aligner Treatment Options
SureSmile is a brand of clear aligners custom-made to straighten your unique smile. Each aligner is worn for about two weeks before being replaced with the next one in the series. The total treatment time varies depending on the severity of your case, but most patients achieve their desired results in six to 18 months. Suresmile aligners are made with a straight-line cut, offering superior control over the torque or the movement of the root, often resulting in faster treatment.
Much like SureSmile, Invisalign consists of customized clear plastic aligners used to gradually shift teeth into place over time. The aligners work by making small adjustments every one to two weeks when you switch to the next aligner in the treatment series, which typically involves wearing 12 to 48 aligners over six to 18 months.
Unlike SureSmile, Invisalign clear aligners are made from SmartTrack® material, which is considered more comfortable to wear. They can also utilize attachments that more precisely target tooth movement.
Benefits of Clear Aligner Treatment
- Discreet: Clear aligners are virtually invisible, making them a great option for people who are self-conscious about their appearance. You can straighten your teeth without anyone knowing.
- Removable: Clear aligners are removable, which means you can take them out to eat, brush, and floss. This makes it easier to maintain good oral hygiene during treatment and allows you to eat your favorite foods without restrictions.
- Comfortable: Clear aligners are more comfortable to wear than traditional metal braces. They are made of smooth, plastic material less likely to irritate or injure your mouth and gums.
- Shorter Treatment Time: Clear aligner treatment typically takes less time than traditional metal braces. The total treatment time varies depending on the severity of your case, but most patients achieve their desired results in six to 18 months.
- Fewer Appointments: Clear aligner treatment requires fewer appointments than traditional metal braces. This means you’ll experience fewer disruptions to your work, school, and activity schedules. It could also mean fewer payments to your dentist or insurance provider.
- Improves Self-Confidence: Clear aligners can improve your self-confidence by giving you a straighter, more beautiful smile. This can have a positive impact on your personal and professional life.
How to Care For Clear Aligners
To help ensure your clear aligner treatment goes as planned, you must care for your aligner trays. Whether you’re using Suresmile or Invisalign, Dr. Miller and Dr. Cooper offer the following rules for care:
- Brush and floss your teeth before putting your aligners back in.
- Rinse your aligners with warm water before putting them back in.
- Clean your aligners with a soft-bristled toothbrush and clear, antibacterial soap.
- Soak your aligners in clear retainer cleaner to keep them fresh and clean.
- Only remove your aligners when necessary, such as for eating, brushing, and flossing.
- Rinse your mouth with water after eating or drinking anything other than water before putting your aligners back in.
- Store your aligners in their case when not in use to prevent loss or damage.
- Avoid smoking or drinking alcohol while wearing your aligners, as they can cause the aligners to become discolored and may affect the fit.
- Follow instructions for wearing and caring for your aligners to ensure the best possible results.
Frequently Asked Questions
Chewing gum while wearing clear aligner trays is not recommended, as it can damage and stain the aligners, get stuck inside them, and even loosen or dislodge them. Remove your aligners before chewing gum. Afterwards, rinse your mouth and aligner trays, and put your aligner trays back in.
Transitioning from traditional braces to clear aligners could be an option based on your unique situation. If your alignment issues are severe, however, you may have to continue treatment with metal braces. Your orthodontist will tell you more based on the specifics of your case.
Refraining from smoking while wearing clear aligners is highly advisable to ensure both the aesthetics and effectiveness of your orthodontic treatment. Smoking can lead to discoloration of the aligners over time, diminishing their transparency and causing them to appear less inconspicuous.
Additionally, the heat from smoking and the chemicals in tobacco products could potentially alter the material properties of the aligners, compromising their fit and overall performance in gradually shifting your teeth into the desired position. By abstaining from smoking during your clear aligner treatment, you contribute to maintaining the intended results and maximizing the benefits of this orthodontic approach.
Adapting to speaking with clear aligners may require a brief adjustment period, typically spanning a few days. During this initial phase, you might notice minor alterations in your speech patterns as your mouth acclimates to the presence of the aligners.
However, the majority of patients experience a swift return to normal speech patterns. As your tongue and lips become accustomed to the aligners’ positioning, any temporary speech changes tend to diminish, allowing you to communicate comfortably and confidently throughout your aligner treatment journey.
Call Dr. Miller & Dr. Cooper For Comfortable Clear Aligner Treatment
Are you ready to straighten your smile but not interested in the hassle of traditional metal braces? Then call Dr. Miller and Dr. Cooper’s Grosse Pointe Woods, MI office at (313) 881-8404. You can also fill out our online contact form by clicking the button below, and one of our friendly team members will get back to you shortly.
Dr. Miller, Dr. Cooper, and our skilled dental team are here to help patients from Grosse Pointe Woods and surrounding areas such as Eastpointe, St. Clair Shores, and Roseville smile their best with clear aligner treatment. Call today and learn more!